Thursday 4 October 2007

LOSS OF A LEGEND


Hi

I had an e-mail from my powerlifting buddies in Adelaide recently to inform me that my good friend & mentor from the World Championships 2006, Bob Withers, has sadly passed away. I met Bob whilst in Bendigo competing last year & he appointed himself as my 'guru'; Bob was a British ex-pat and had an unusual Brummie / Aussie accent & we got on famously. As well as being a Masters Champion with over 40 years in the game, Bob was a professor of sports physiology at the university and I know I owe a lot of my World Title success to Bob, thanks to his knowledge, inspiration & drive. He also was instrumental in my Mens Health article ' The Life of Iron', having spoken to Dan Jones in great depth about the world of drug-free powerlifting.


He will be missed, but never forgotten - particularly by me. Following my recent win at the weekend as the Midlands Champion & the new World Record Bench Press Holder, I dedicate this trophy to the memory of this great bloke.

Cheers Bob.


No comments:

Post a Comment